I’m thinking of putting together a series of “things I’ve learned so far” posts and then keeping the running list on a separate page.
Turning 70 has a tendency to make us think about these things. It also caused a brain earthquake that dislodged all the memories of stupid things I did when I was young so now I’m forced to relive my most embarrassing moments. I’m not inclined to share any of those at this time. Maybe when I turn 80…
Anyway, here a a few of the things I’ve learned so far:
1. We shouldn’t do stupid stuff that would interfere with our ability to get a job or run for political office. If we do something stupid, we shouldn’t post about it on social media
2. A fancy title doesn’t change a thing. Palmetto bugs are still cockroaches.
3. Smoking is a nasty habit that destroys lives.
4. Cats are fascinating.
5. It’s okay to eat chocolate, but eating a whole pound of chocolates at one sitting is self-destructive.
6. Big tasks are completed one tiny chore at a time.
7. Money is important. The best way to get money is to work hard. The best way to get a good job is to learn a valuable skill and perform it well. Sometimes we need to work at a not-so-good job while we learn that new skill. This is okay. We can catch up on our sleep later.
8. Learning to sit quietly and relax is a valuable skill.
9. We are not required to finish every project we start.
10. Smiles are good and should be given and received on a daily basis.