I’m getting tired of doing the same old thing, so beginning mid-year I’m going to change up my blog’s content and focus.
1. I’m going to do a few book reviews, but I’m only going to review non-fiction books on writing or the writing life. No fiction reviews.
2. I’ll be doing a few interviews on my blog this year. I’m not interviewing authors or agents, though, because I already do a little of that over at Chiseled in Rock blog. I’m more excited about interviewing….drum roll, please….book bloggers and book reviewers.
3. Beginning July 1st, I’m open to hosting authors on virtual tours any day of the week except Tuesday, but I’ll no longer actively seek and invite authors to do guest appearances. It’s the seeking and inviting and scheduling that’s taking up way too much of my time.
4. I’ve added a “Follow me by e-mail” option to my blog. It’s in the right side bar just under my profile.
5. I plan to use more photos…as soon as I learn how to use my new camera.
6. You’ll find a greater variety of blog topics including more human interest and think pieces. I have a nice one coming up on Monday the 13th from blogger Kaye Barley. And more stuff about my own writing life too.
7. My blogrolls are going to undergo a major weeding out and reorganization. If a blogger hasn’t posted for more than a month, I’m removing said blogger from my blogroll. The same thing will happen to bloggers who do not link to this blog. I now follow blogs through Google Reader, so I don’t need a list in the sidebar for my own use. The groups will probably be reduced to Agents, Book Bloggers, Writing Blogs (or something like that).
8. There will be other changes as well, but I haven’t figured out what they are yet. Just going with the flow…
Stephen Tremp says
Change is good! So are using photos. And I’ve had to purge my blogroll a few times. Guess I should visit here more often so I won’t get whacked!
Cindy Keen Reynders says
Change is good, Pat. Keeps things fresh.
I just moved to a new feed aggregator and I’m really happy with it.
Stacy S. Jensen says
Change is always fun. I’m glad you added the email button. I’m not a good “google reader” organizer. So, I tend to follow by email and sort there. It’s a reminder. Good luck figuring out your camera. I read a great writing book on memoir “The Memoir Project” by Marion Roach Smith, if you are looking for titles. It’s got great points for essays and a full memoir manuscript. Good luck with the changes!
L. Diane Wolfe says
Good plan. I’ve interviewed book bloggers a few times – it’s fun.
Arlee Bird says
Sounds like a good plan of action. I agree that seeking out guests is a time-consuming activity, but I do it when I want to get a totally different voice that we don’t usually hear from in our blogging community or someone who has a unique perspective on a topic I’ve found interesting.
Good luck with the upcoming changes.
Wrote By Rote
Elspeth Antonelli says
Good for you, Pat to change it up a bit! I look forward to your reviews – and I really should think about using Google Reader. Everyone says it’s great.
Ann Best says
I’m using my Google Reader too. One’s blog can get too cluttered. I smiled when you said as soon as you learn how to use your new camera! Boy, have I struggled with all of this stuff. The older you get….
I’m with you on everything here, Pat. You just can’t do it all and write too, as well as do every other “real life” thing!
Ann Best, Author of In the Mirror & Other Memoirs
Patricia Stoltey says
Actually it was Alex’s post on how he manages the blogs he follows that got me started rethinking this whole exercise. Change is good. It keeps us on our toes.
Alex J. Cavanaugh says
Google Reader is the way to go!
I’m updating my blogroll, mostly because it locked up on me. Still a work in progress – may take me all week to add blogs to the many lists!
Karen Walker says
Good for you, Patricia. Guess I need to look into Google Reader so I can do something about my blogroll as well. It’s cumbersome.
Rebecca Bradley says
Sometimes we need to assess what we have and where we want to go. It’s how we keep up with everything. It sounds great. I hope it all works out well for you. I will sign up via the email linky thing. 🙂
Margot Kinberg says
Pat – Good for you to reflect on what you want for your blog. I give you credit for not “going on auto-pilot.” I’ll be really interested in reading your book reviews and interviews, too! And those pictures!