I jumped into the Twitter frenzy around the middle of April and three days later wrote Seven Things I Learned About Twitter in the First Three Days. Granted, my experience was limited, but there were some things I figured out pretty fast. The biggest thing: anyone prone to communication addiction should stay away.
Being a glutton for punishment, however, I persevered, promising to let everyone know if Twitter helps build blog traffic. The answer is yes. Since I don’t tweet about every single blog post, and I can see the number of visits to my blog each day, I can tell that even two tweets a day about that day’s post will bring more visitors.
A side note: On the days I also post a notice to any of the Yahoo! Groups I belong to (six at the moment, plus one mystery lovers’ list), the number of visits shoots way up.
Here are the other things I like about Twitter:
1. The people I follow tweet links to excellent articles or blog posts that I never would have found on my own.
2. I can follow breaking news and local weather warnings before that information is available on television or radio.
3. Some of my favorite bloggers tweet when they post, which saves me looking up the list from my own blog.
4. I’ve found a few public figures to follow. I choose the ones who are funny, who seem to tell the truth (although who can really know), and who tweet useful information. I don’t think I follow any movie stars, although I understand Elizabeth Taylor is in Twitter World now.
5. I have the option of unfollowing and/or blocking folks who spew venom, spend all their time selling things I don’t want to buy, or tweet so often I can’t find messages from anyone else.
6. The mind tidbits (tweets) fascinate me. It’s like people-watching. Only different. The kind of things writers do to get story ideas.
7. I’ll give you a couple of interesting Twitter people to follow if you want to smile: @GayleGresham @wordsbybob. For good information: @problogger @Twitter_Tips. And, of course, me @PStoltey. I try to provide a little of both.
Can you add to my Twitter “smile” list, or to the “information” list?