I just read the bio of Martin Luther King Jr. at the official website of the Nobel Prize, Nobelprize.org. Here are a few things I did not know:
1. His first name was Michael until he later had it changed it to Martin.
2. Martin graduated from high school at the age of fifteen.
3. He was nineteen when he received his B.A.
4. Between 1957 and 1968, King traveled over six million miles and spoke over twenty-five hundred times…and wrote five books.
5. When he was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1964, he was the youngest man to have received the prize.
Most of us know about the I Have a Dream speech. Here are a few more places to find King’s thoughts and ideas in his own words:
Strength to Love (Sermans and Essays) (1963)
The Measure of a Man (Devotional Addresses) (1959)
Why Can’t We Wait? (1963)
The Trumpet of Conscience (1968)