I guess I left my bad-tempered rant post up long enough. I had to chuckle at the number of views I received…lots more than any regular post about writing or the writing life.
To offset my complaints, I’d like to offer up a few of the good things going on in my life these days:
1. Katie Kitty (also now known as Miss Kitty or Miss Katie) is doing really well. The only medicine she has to take is Pepcid AC. We still make her stand vertical to eat and hold her vertical about five minutes after she eats, but she’s used to it now (and so are we). I’ve been practicing on her with my new camera, and here’s the latest face shot.
2. Writing and revising are going well. I’m mapping out my writing time on a calendar so I don’t let myself get sidetracked. Apparently the article about writing 500 words a day that I posted at Chiseled in Rock was a good reminder to myself. Focus. Stay the course.
3. The High Park Fire in Northern Colorado is fully contained and most communities in the area around Fort Collins are no longer threatened. There are still folks who are displaced, and there are still firefighters doing their hard work in high heat, but the community has come together as it does in times of disaster. Fundraisers keep increasing, volunteers are stepping up, and the donations keep flowing.
4. We can run our air conditioner when needed, unlike many folks in the East who are suffering with no power and very high temperatures. I hope they get relief very soon.
5. And finally, the hot sun in Colorado is great for brewing sun tea. Since that sun is burning up some of my garden, I had to find something useful for it to do. I’ve been adding fresh peppermint (which seems to thrive in this heat) to my tea mix, so it’s especially refreshing.